Share |

What Dreams May Come


“For God does speak - now one way, now another - though man may not perceive it. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds.” (Job 33:14, 15)


God has spoken to His people through dreams and visions all the way back to Genesis, and He’s still speaking that way today. It makes sense if you stop to consider that our days are too busy to hear God’s voice, but at night we’re finally quiet and still, long enough for God to get in a word edgewise.

A few years ago my son and I dreamt the exact same thing! That dream led me to a Christian dream interpretation website, where I learned what it was God was trying to tell me.

First dream: I was shopping in a grocery store for rye bread for my dad. I couldn’t find any rye bread, but I finally found a rye bread sandwich that was gloriously golden, and stuffed with meat. The employees were cheerful, and they were laughing at the sporadic way I was shopping. Here are the dream symbols and their meanings:

Dad: your earthly father can be a symbol for your heavenly Father.
Rye: cheerfulness
Caraway: seasoning and flavor, also used in certain medicines
Bread: Bread of Life
Meat: strong doctrine

I knew God had called me to write, but I didn’t know where to start. God was showing me that my particular writing style would be humorous, good medicine, and was to contain strong doctrine which is the Bread of Life. Even the sporadic way I was shopping in the dream spoke to me, because that’s how I write. I get bored if my writing projects are too lengthy.

Second dream: I dreamt my mouth was full of pieces of lead. I was spitting it out, when suddenly I spit out a large, tan button with four holes in it.

Mouth: witness
Lead: burden, sinfulness
Tan: repentance, turning from dead works
Four: the world, four corners of the earth

To me this meant preaching repentance to the world. " .. repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in His name to all nations…” (Luke 24: 46-48) I guess that scripture really applies to all of us.

But how do you know if your dream is from God, or if it’s just a case of eating too much pizza the night before? Many times a dream is a culmination of the events that took place during the day, or from a movie you watched. But if the dream has lingering effects, or you feel there’s more to it, then seek an interpretation.

There are no hard and fast rules to dream interpretation. There are many places on the internet where you can look up the symbols in your dream, but you need to discern if those meanings fit your dream. There are symbols for colors, animals, numbers, shapes and more.
God knows I love a good puzzle, so for me it’s great fun to look up all the symbols. Sometimes the interpretation fits, and sometimes it doesn’t. The best thing to do when you need an interpretation for your dream is to ask God to show you the meaning. If there’s something He wants to tell you, He’ll make sure you get it.

If anyone has a dream you would like to share, whether God already gave you the interpretation, or you are still wondering what it means, please feel free to post it here. Though I don't claim to have the gift of dream interpretation, I would be more than happy to pray about it, and I'm sure other readers here would be interested in helping as well.

Happy dreams!