Share |

The Charlie Brown Christmas Tree Saga



I realize it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I have a Christmas tree issue to deal with. Every year I look forward to Christmas, when I can put up my Tahoe Christmas Tree. It's one of those delicate turkey feather trees (or at least that's what I call them). I bought it a few years ago at an antique shop, ornaments and all. My kids call it 'the Charlie Brown tree.'

Every year it's a battle with my family. They want a HUGE monster Christmas tree. The kind that takes up the whole living room. Ugh! Sooo much work. So little time. And I find myself counting down the days until Christmas is over, and I can finally put the beast back in the attic where it belongs.

So we're shopping at the World Market today, where I find the most awesome African animal ornaments that would look great in my Safari themed living room, on my tahoe tree. My son immediately calls his brother, who proceeds to lecture me about the Christmas rules, which he refers to as 'the Erdmann Gift Matrix.' The "EGM" was established two years ago, when I suggested we forgo exchanging Christmas presents and work in a soup kitchen, or send presents to orphans instead. (That idea was shot down).

When we arrived back home, I received this email sent from Aaron to all his brothers and sisters...and me:

Dear Erdmann family member,

There has been a major development in the Erdmann Christmas tradition.

The tradition of displaying a Christmas tree in the living room is being shaken once again.

"This isn't anything new. We've seen this behavior in 1999 with the introduction of the Charlie Brown tree, and again in 2002 and 2005," commented Aaron Erdmann, Erdmann Family historian.

"The Charlie Brown tree has been a sleeping giant since 2005," continued Aaron, "but the sleeping giant has awakened, and it's about to blow like a volcano."

EGM (Erdmann Gift Matrix) officials have been working around the clock to stop the progression of the Charlie Brown tree. "The Board of Trustees has held hearings to nominate representatives, and we'll have further details available by Thanksgiving," stated Jordan Erdmann, Treasurer of EGM. With Thanksgiving less than a week away, time is ticking for EGM to come up with a plan.

Members of the Erdmann family are urged to voice their opinion to officials by clicking "REPLY ALL" to this email.



What do you think? Am I a Scrooge?

(Issue resolved. See comments)